Followers

Powered By Blogger
Powered by Blogger.

Thursday, February 16, 2012

Going Organic: A Happy Balance

Nothing like watching Food Inc.!  It's like someone pulled up the blinds from a dark room... and the hard honest trust is like a light that  illuminates an area that has just accepted in our world today, and that's Industrialized food. I can go on and on about the truths revealed in the documentary, but I won't because I say to be empowered.. you have know for yourself what you are standing up against. Knowledge is power, right? =)

 So, this is not a rant but I just want to share what our kitchen has been like since we were enlightened. Honestly, the day after watching Food Inc. I couldn't eat or look at meat. In fact, I think I dropped one size after refusing to eat anything processed lol (another advantage to eating fresh!)
My first response to this documentary was going to the grocery store and without any coupons (yes, no coupons!  I know... was I out of my mind?! lol) just bought everything organic. Guess What?! I had to drop $150.00 and that was just a week's worth of food. Well.. needless to say, we cannot afford to dish out $600 in groceries a month.
So, I had to try another route... I subscribed to a NYC based CSA (sort-of) called BasisFoods. Thankfully, Groupon had a great promotion and I was able to save money. Anyway, with the Groupon promotion I pay about $50-$80 a month for 2-3 wks. worth of organic fruits,vegetables, dairy products. Depending on that week's menu I can still spend an extra $20-30 on fruits and veggies. Here are some pictures of what I had delivered. We also had fresh milk, butter, granola bar, and greens.

oranges, lemons, apples, & kumquats

eggs

I had to find a balance, because if I didn't our budget would take a big hit. What I must buy organic: Our meats, any fruits or vegetables that we eat without peeling (like apples, lettuce, leafy veggies, etc.), eggs, and milk. The rest I can compromise here and there. I also try very hard to follow these guidelines (take from  http://healthy-chicks.com/2011/02/01/the-dirty-dozen-12-foods-you-should-always-buy-organic/) She calls these the "Dirty dozen: 12 foods you should always buy organic" 
  • celery
  • peaches
  • strawberries
  • apples
  • blueberries
  • nectarines
  • bell peppers
  • spinach
  • cherries
  • kale/collard greens
  • potatoes
  • grapes (imported)
Basically, I needed to educate myself further on the best way I can feed my family safe and healthy foods without breaking the bank. The lesson is, start slow.. and incorporate organic food slowly, you may find yourself cooking more with fresh ingredients. Trust me, you will feel so much better. Your body will respond well when it is treated well!=)

No comments:

Post a Comment