Followers

Powered By Blogger
Powered by Blogger.

Thursday, July 11, 2013

Guest Blogger in The House: "Exercise Is a Team Sport"

Hello and good day friends!

Allow me to introduce myself, I am the husband of this lovely lady's blog and had recently graduated BCT (Basic Combat Training) from Fort Jackson, SC otherwise known as "Relaxin' Jackson" even though it didn't necessarily feel that way considering we had reserve Drills and CO's come in every two weeks.  Nevertheless, this isn't about my quips with BCT since that would require an entire blog entry, or more.

I'll start off by giving you a little insight on my fitness journey and how being fit and healthy has inspired me to do more with my life.  Once upon a time in an enclosed office far, far away on a 'dangerous' island known as Manhattan I worked everyday of my life crunching numbers and ensuring the bosses' money was still intact.  I often wondered on my frequent 15min breaks if there was ever more to life than this gray office, rugged keyboard and decrepit computer screen.  Not doing my part in educating myself,  I had fallen victim to the rat race for nearly 10 years! I was going to do 9-5 till retirement, which for my generation won't be 65.  I did engage in a few active hobbies such as: BJJ (Brazilian Jiu Jitsu) basketball, volleyball and the like. However, I was never consistent with these activities.  I always made up an excuse ranging from monetary concerns to keeping my wife company as during this time she was in her final trimester.  I never realized the damage these excuses did to myself as well as to my family.

I made a lot of excuses that in the end made me feel angry and frustrated. I pointed fingers at anything and everyone, but regretted to not point that finger to myself! After lots of thinking and praying, I said "no more!"  I began networking and was able to sit down with my super cool brother-in-law who told me the truth: The line of work I'm in is not for me, that desk job, 9-5 is not for me indeed.  Through his encouragement, as well as the support of my incredible wife I thought to myself: "What better way to do something more meaningful with life than to become a public servant?"  Gone were the days of reporting to my bosses and expressing some colorful language in my head of how I felt about them.  I was excited about this new direction God was taking me.  Although, I can't say this adventure wasn't without its hardships it certainly has been a great learning experience.  And by God's grace, I was given a second chance to do something more with my life and leave a solid legacy for my children to be proud of. 

Now, you're probably wondering what's with the title, "Exercise is a Team Sport"? Well, here's the deal: If I didn't have my wife to push me and tell me to get off the video games and get on the floor and start pushing, I probably wouldn't be here typing about how I'm in the best shape I've been in about 10 years! My wife and I have done some amazing workouts together. A lot of which involves the fitness program INSANITY by Shaun T. but our cooperative activities aren't limited to just exercising. My wife now encourages our family to do healthy eating although we do have our occasional 'cheat' days we make sure we try to keep each other accountable.

I'm not as consistent with the workout as my wife, since I'm following a different regiment that I learned from my Drill Sergeants.  We were fortunate in BCT because we had a few DS' who pushed us to our limits, and because of them I reached a threshold in my fitness level that I thought I would never achieve, given my current situation: having a young family to raise. One of the Drill Sergeants is a reservists and owns a Cross-Fit gym down in Charlotte, NC, he is also a U.S. Army Ranger. So, you can imagine the workouts he put us through were the real deal!  Another DS who is a BEAST is a highly decorated soldier with 3 Purple Hearts and a ton of experience with the 25th Mountain Division.  Yes, they were both 11B Infantry so we did get our butts handed to us, see not so 'Relaxin' after all.   Anyway there are a few workouts I carried over from BCT that I also have my wife trying to do and I have them listed below.  I hope you enjoyed this blog as much as I enjoyed writing it.  For additional references regarding a good military workout I refer to former Navy Seals blog Stew Smith at http://www.military.com/military-fitness/

20 minute circuit
Jumping Jacks 2 min. (warm-up)
Push-Ups 2 min.
Sit-Ups 2 min.
Forward Lunges 2 min.
Squats 2 min.
Mountain Climbers 2 min.
Left Crunches 2 min.
Right Crunches 2 min.
Forward Crunches 2 min.
Reverse Crunches 2 min.

1 min. rest in between each circuit and 10 sec. between each exercise then repeat the circuit and cut it down to 1 min. per exercise then go down to 45 sec. then for the last circuit cut it down to 30 sec. and finish the workout with a 1 min. plank and a 15 min. run.  Enjoy and stay strong!

"Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me."



Here are some before and after pictures:

 

2007-2012: Weight- 220 lbs.


 
 

 

 

2013: Weight-175 lbs. 






No comments:

Post a Comment